Firemen respond to midnight basement fire

Marianne Gillespie
mgillespie@timestoday.com

A basement fire at a home in Galena Knolls kept the Chillicothe Community Fire Department busy during the wee hours of April 8.

Shortly after midnight, all four stations were called to the home of Kenneth and Anna Ensor at 15929 N. Logan Court.

The couple’s smoke detectors went off and after opening the door to the basement, smoke could be seen. They left the home and called for help.

“That whole process from hearing the smoke detectors to exiting the house and calling the fire department, that’s exactly what we’d like to see anytime there’s a fire,” Deputy Chief Mike Denzer said.

With a good water supply from a nearby hydrant, Denzer said mutual aid was called primarily for manpower if needed and to back up Fire Station No. 1 should there be another emergency.

Akron-Princeville stayed at the station and waited while Lacon-Sparland and Dunlap arrived at the home to assist.

Once on the scene, about 20 Chillicothe firemen helped contain the fire to the basement and extinguished it.

“It was a good stop by our guys,” Denzer said.

Preliminary damage estimates are at $50,000, he said, and while no fire or water damage extended to the main level, smoke damage probably occurred.

The point of origin was determined to be a dehumidifier, Denzer said.

After leaving the scene about 2:30 a.m., the firemen returned to their stations and cleaned up the equipment. Those at Fire Station No. 1 left about 3:15 a.m.