Firemen battle house, sheds and grass fires
Numerous fire calls kept the Chillicothe Fire Department busy in the last few days.
Chillicothe firemen battled a blaze at 420 W. Elm St. Monday.
An upstairs bedroom in the home of Mike and Jackie Brownfield caught on fire around 5:30 a.m., according to Chillicothe Fire Chief John Myers.
A candle began the fire, Myers said, which gutted the bedroom and damaged some of the house as well.
While trying to throw the burning items out the window, a 15 year old suffered hand burns. He was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Damage is estimated at more than $50,000, Myers said.
A burn barrel fire ignited a shed fire Sunday afternoon at a Ridgewood Drive home.
According to a Chillicothe Police Department report, hot burn barrel contents most likely started a wooden privacy fence and a plastic doghouse on fire, which then caught an about 8-by-12-foot wooden shed on fire.
When police first arrived, heavy black smoke was coming from the rear of the home of Jennifer Beck, 218 S. Ridgewood.
In the back yard, the officer found a wooden privacy fence burning next to the shed.
There was heavy fire behind the shed with the fence.
The shed then became fully engulfed as the Chillicothe Fire Department arrived.
The fire was extinguished in a short time, but a shed on the east side of the fence also had started on fire.
That damaged shed belongs to William Perry of 211 S. Sweetbriar Drive.
The report said Beck related she was burning yard waste in the burn barrel and heard popping noises.
She then saw burning between the fence and shed.
The doghouse and the shed were completely destroyed by the fire.
There was also damage to bushes and grass at the residence of Delores McBride at 212 Ridgewood.
The fire also caused damage to GTE phone lines and Mediacom cable lines, which were hanging from a utility pole in the area of the fire.
Estimated damage is around $10,000, Myers said, but may increase depending on contents of the sheds.
No ordinance violation tickets were issued.
Per city ordinance, burn barrels are not allowed in the city, Myers said.
Additionally, open burning is only 10 a.m. to dusk on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday during certain months of the year.
Fires are to be attended at all times by someone 16 or older, according to the ordinance.
The CCFD also battled a Hallock Hollow yard fire Sunday, and a grass fire Saturday at Ivy Lake and Rome Road.