BELLEVUE — A house fire Saturday morning left two people homeless and took the life of a pair of dogs.

The fire, which began in the kitchen, may have been started by the larger dog, said Dale Hoerr, deputy chief at the Limestone Fire Department.

“We are looking at the possibility that the stove was turned on by the bigger dog,” said Hoerr. “They jump up if there is food or whatever on the stove, and it will kick a burner on.”

Hoerr said he has seen that happen before. Flammable items and greasy pans sitting on the stove can ignite and start a fire.

The human occupants were not home when neighbors saw smoke coming out of the eaves of the house at 627 S. Anna Ave. and called the Fire Department at 10:52 a.m. Firefighters from Limestone, Bartonville, West Peoria, Logan Trivoli and Peoria Heights all responded to the blaze.

The fire was knocked down in about 30 minutes. The dogs, a beagle and a larger dog, were brought out of the house but did not survive, said Hoerr.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.