An early-morning fire Sunday left a Chillicothe family without a home just north of town.


An early-morning fire Sunday left a Chillicothe family without a home just north of town.

The home of Daryl and Mary Clemenson, of 23022 N. Shepard Road, was destroyed by a blaze believed to have started when a blanket made contact with a space heater in the home’s basement.

Chillicothe Community Fire Department Capt. Jim Fennell said two of the four family members were transported to OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria.

A female suffered burns to her feet, and a male had burns to his arms. Both were treated and released.

Fennell said when the fire department arrived about 5:30 a.m., the basement was fully engulfed.

He said the family was outside the home, but little could be done to save the home.

Trucks and personnel from departments in Lacon-Sparland, Henry and Dunlap assisted the CCFD in fighting the fire and hauling water.

Fennell said about 40,000 gallons of water were used to extinguish the blaze.

Although firemen stay at the scene for close to five hours, a rekindle brought them back that day.

Damage is estimated at about $200,000. Fennell said a pickup truck in the garage was also destroyed.